1. To make pickled onions, place onions in a 480 mL mason jar. In a small sauce-pan, add the vinegar, maple syrup, salt and pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat for 1 minute. Carefully pour the mixture in-to the jar over the onions, ensuring all onions are submerged in liquid. Let cool, seal with lid and store in refrigerator up to two days.
2. To make frites, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss yams with olive oil and place on baking sheet, ensuring they are not overlapping. Bake for 30 minutes until fries are golden and crisp, turning halfway through. Season with smoked sea salt and serve hot.
3. To make creamy avocado, with a fork, cream together avocado, garlic, lime zest, juice and salt. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. To make burgers, preheat grill to medium heat. Oil grill well to avoid burgers sticking. Cook burgers 4-5 minutes per side.
5. To assemble burgers, layer bottom of each bun with 2 beet leaves, add a slice of tomato and top with Sunflower Beet burgers, divide and spread creamy avocado on each, top with pickled onions, sprouts and burger bun.
6. Serve with frites and dill pickle rounds. Enjoy!
2 Sol Cuisine Sunflower Beet Burgers
2 grainy burger buns
4 beet leaves (white and green)
2 slices heirloom tomatoes, ¼-inch thick
1/2 cup alfalfa sprouts
Dill pickle rounds
Pickled Onions (see recipe)
Creamy Avocado (see recipe)
Japanese Yam Frites (see recipe)
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp dried chilies (optional)
JAPANESE YAM FRITES:
2 large Japanese yams with skins, cut into shoestring fries
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp smoked sea salt
1 large ripe avocado
1 garlic clove, minced
Zest of one lime and juice of half a lime
1/4 tsp salt