- Rinse rice several times. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 cup rice and 2 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all of water is absorbed. Cover with a lid and let it sit.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add finely chopped onions, stir occasionally and sauté until softened.
- Add 3 packages of Sol Cuisine Organic Veggie Crumbles, salt and pepper to taste and simmer on low heat. Stir mixture occasionally for about 10 minutes.In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked rice and cooked veggie crumbles and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large stockpot, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring water to a boil.
- Add cabbage and cook until outer leaves are tender, about 10-15 minutes. When cabbage is cooked, carefully remove cabbage from pot and let it sit until it is cool enough to handle. Separate leaves carefully.
- Using a knife remove any tough ribs (thick centre vein from the bottom of each leaf). If undercooked inner leaves become difficult to remove, return cabbage to pot and cook for 10 more minutes. Reserve enough leaves from the cabbage to cover the cabbage rolls in the pan. Cook the second cabbage in the same manner.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture into the centre of the cabbage leaf. Fold the sides over the filling then roll the leaf up tightly to prevent any filling from falling out.
- Place 3 tablespoons of oil and 1 cup of water in a casserole dish and place some left over cabbage leaves on the bottom of the dish. Arrange cabbage rolls against each other with the seam side down.
- Pour 1 can of Hunts tomato sauce over cabbage rolls and cover with some left over cabbage leaves. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190 ˚C) cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until very tender, about 1.5 to 2.5 hours. Once cooked, remove the dish from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- In a saucepan, combine ½ glass of water and 1 can of Hunts tomato sauce, over medium heat. Add salt and pepper for taste. Poor sauce over baked cabbage rolls.
Features: Vegetarian/Vegan / Submitted by Anna – our Quality Assurance Coordinator
Anna’s “Can’t Believe It’s Not Meat” Cabbage Rolls
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cooking Time: 1.5 – 2.5 hrs
3 packages of Sol Cuisine Organic Veggie Crumbles (Canadian Product Here)
2 onions, finely chopped
2 medium heads of green cabbage
6 T. olive oil
1 C uncooked basmati rice
2 C water
2 cans (680ml) Tomato Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste